Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Scabies Scare 08

Back in the end of July the first part of August Landry had a rash on the back of her legs that would not clear up. We tried everything. We were supposed to be going to Bear Lake for our annual trip with my family. We LOVE going to Bear Lake - I look forward to this trip every summer and Landry could hardly wait - 4 days of playing with her cousins! We were to meet there on Sunday. On Friday night Landry was itching her legs like crazy so I decided that I had better take her in on Saturday just to be 'safe'. Boy were we in for a surprise. We did not get to see her regular Doctor since it was a Saturday. We got the guy who was on call - BIG MISTAKE! To make a long story short he diagnosed her with Scabies. Yes, Scabies - it's a mite that gets up under the skin and lays eggs. SICK! He said she could have gotten it anywhere and that it was HIGHLY contagious and that we should keep her home and away from people until it cleared up. We got a Rx that was supposed to kill the mite after one treatment, we were to strip all the beds and wash them in the hottest water possible, wash all our clothes in the hottest water possible and let everyone know who we had been in contact with. So, we didn't go to Bear Lake, called her Pre-School, called all the neighbors and friends and then quarantined ourselves for the next week. Well after a few days it still wasn't clearing up so I scheduled an appointment with her Doctor and go figure - it wasn't really scabies. She referred us to a Dermatologist and she actually has Acute Dermatitis, a low form of Eczema! Was I mad - you have no idea! First of all we missed our trip, it was absolutely mortifying to call everyone and tell them and then call them again and say Ooops, sorry! One of our friends even ended up taking her newborn in because he got a rash on his stomach. Not to mention cleaning my house from top to bottom with Clorox wipes and Lysol disinfectant.

I did learn a valuable lesson from this. Trust your instincts! I wasn't totally convinced that this Doctor knew what he was talking about. It just seemed so weird! I'm glad I took her in and got a second opinion. The rash cleared up within a week of seeing the Dermatologist!

No comments: